Monday, June 30, 2008

Open Source Library

I've been searching for open source library system for the past 2 weeks and finally concluded that I'm going to implement OpenBiblio in the church library.

The first step is changing the operating system from the pirated version of Windows into a legal Ubuntu copy. ^_^

I came across few nice other open source OPAC and ILS in the Internet; here's the review.

  1. OtomigenX
    This Indonesian-made library system is nice and sleek, but I've got some errors for simple tasks like adding new bibliography records at first experience.
  2. Senayan Library
    A web-based library automation system which is one of the open source projects that supports IGOS. I find this system very robust. However some of the AJAX features are quite annoying:
    • lots of message boxes (JavaScript) that displays silly information like "Welcome to Library Automation, <Username>" and user must click the OK button
    • The page goes black (supposed to be some kind of animation) every time I click something; perhaps the developer wants to express that the system is loading but it's kind of annoying to me

Of course there are more open source projects that can be more complex, but I'm looking for something simple enough to be implemented in a small library. So the winner for now goes to OpenBiblio.

I'll update with the result when I'm finish with it. ^_^

No comments: