Tuesday, September 27, 2005

AS/400 and RPG



I just met this machine virtually practically on19th Sept 2005 (my first day of work) and to tell you the truth, it was't fun.

This machine is basically a 'pain in the ass' for GUI users like Windows or Linux. The concepts of the operating system itself is different than the filesystem concepts in Windows or Linux.
You'll get yourself asking when u hear the terms library, file, object, member; which is just not the thing I've had in mind before.

Luckily, I don't have to access the AS/400 machine directly; instead, we can use some client access emulator like TN5250j for Linux (I'm using IBM eNetwork personal Communications AS/400 Client Access Express for Windows that comes from IBM itself)

The system display is just not graphical with so little colours (black for the background, green for the foreground, but some are blue or white ^_^)



But the worst part for me is basically the programming in AS/400, which is RPG (Report Program Generator). I know when some of you will think of the Role Player Game thingy, it is nothing like that. ^_^

It is by far the hardest one to do since assembly language in college. It even restrict you into column level of the programming.

Anyway.. I just started to enjoy it since yesterday, when I just got into it and suddenly, time to go home.. ^_^

Alrite then.. lunch time's over.. I'd better get back to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, why don't you post up a screenshot of how it looks like when programming on the AS/400.. i'm quite interested to find out :)

cerebellum said...

hehe.. ok then.. but give me some time.. coz i'm still learning at this moment.

this machine is pretty expensive dude.. it's worth a new car ^_^

it is more commonly used in huge companies like banks, insurance and those who want powerful system that can handle vast amount of data.

what i mean 'vast' is extremely huge as in thousands or millions of records per day.