Wednesday, April 23, 2008

SQL Server Compact

I've been browsing the Internet for some lightweight SQL-based database engine that is easy to deploy with Microsoft .NET application that I'm writing.

All this while, I've been using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition for database engine. I find it very powerful and quite pleased with it. However, the installer size is huge and not so easy to deploy.

I'm looking for a simple method to store my data as I need without the hassle of huge and troublesome installation. I came across Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5. First glance looks nice and easy to deploy; it does not require some huge installation files and goes along with Microsoft .NET Framework (as usual ^_^)

However, I realize a huge speed difference with the Express edition. Just to query a record, it takes some time (compared to instant speed with Express edition). Another turn down is the lack of views; I cannot have views in the database.. :-( I use lots of views in my system. In fact, I made my own user control just for that and I've been using it in almost every application I write.

I'll do more reading in this subject.. ^_^
It's late and I've got to be up for work in less than 6 hours.

No comments: